[ale] partitioning

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Fri Jul 13 14:05:11 EDT 2007

On Friday 13 July 2007 01:47:05 pm Brian Pitts wrote:
> Parted's not actually that bad. I imagine the command you want is
> 'parted $DEVICE mkpartfs primary ext2 0% 100%', where $DEVICE is the
> drive you want to partition. This will also create the filesystem.

easy for you to say :)
actually, I was trying to set it up like someone else mentioned earlier, with
a small fat32 filesystem, where you put ext2ifs files ( I installed it on my
XP laptop setup already), and the rest is ext3.
 I have finally accomplished that setup!
I am in the process now of backing up my /home to that drive. When finished
I'll either ghost my XP setup, or do the file backup program.. haven't
decided yet.
the part that I was missing was actually creating the filesystem. I had done
the mkpart, but failed to do the mkfs.
my bad!

> If you have X, GParted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) is much more
> intuitive to use. I'd recommend it over QTParted, which hasn't been
> updated since 2004.

I'll take a look at gparted, QtParted isn't going to fly..
thanks!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800