[ale] OT: maybe, it is for Linux use

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Jul 12 23:38:49 EDT 2007

Scott Castaline wrote:
> I'm looking for a new hdd and am torn between 2 500GB SATA 300s
> I have seen both at Newegg.com
>
> 1. Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA
> 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM for $109.99
>
> 2.  Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3500630AS
> 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $119.99

My two cents...

I've used several of the 320GB version of that Seagate disk and been
pleased. I purchased that exact WD model cheap from Newegg (it had been
purchased and returned previously) and it was DOA; WD"s own tools agreed
the bad sector count was too high. Thankfully, the RMA process for WD
was painless. They'll even ship you the replacement drive before they
receive your broken one.

-Brian