[ale] OT: maybe, it is for Linux use

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 23:35:24 EDT 2007

On 7/12/07, JK <jknapka at kneuro.net> wrote:
> danlambert at bellsouth.net wrote:
>
> > I totally ceased using and specifying Seagate a few years ago, since I NEVER had one last more
> > than 6 months. in dozens of drives I sold and installed, I had to replace every stinking one of
> > them before theyreached sx months of age.
> >
> > I will not buy a Seagate drive. Period.
> >
> > Find a Hitachi or Fujitsu drive if the WD isn't one that you are willing to rely on.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what brand(s) do you prefer?
> You imply that WD is a good one, which doesn't square
> with my experience.  However, it's been several years
> since I've used WD drives.
>
> -- JK

Personally I think it goes in cycles.  I tend to change drive
manufactures ever couple years due to excessive early death.  WD was
ruled out pretty quick when we tried them about 3 years ago.

Hitachi was better, but eventually we moved away from them to.

Regardless of manufacturer, I will never buy "1 year warranty" drives
again regardless of who makes them.  The latest WD MyBook drives I've
seen at the store don't even have their warranty shown, so I assume it
is really short.

FYI: For the last 18 months, I've been buying primarily Seagates.  And
my company has been buying a couple hundred a year for the last 4
years or so.  We did seem to get one bad batch of 200GBs that had
several fail in the first few months.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer