[ale] A "high quality" domain name registration?

Alex LeDonne aledonne.listmail at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 17:21:02 EDT 2007

On 7/12/07, Allan Metts <ametts2 at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> godaddy.com presents a cluttered site, lots of adds, and provides
> domain name registrations for 8.95 a year.
>
> By contrast, register.com and networksolutions.com seem to be more
> "professional", but the same domain name registration costs $35 a year.
>
> What am I missing?  If I use godaddy.com, will I regret it later?  Do
> these other two companies offer more value somehow?
>
> A----

I can't comment on those particular companies, but I will offer these,
both of which I've used in the past with 100% satisfaction:

gandi.net - France-based registration; note that EU info directives
apply and your registration info will be public. Also, since the
dollar is at an all-time low vs. the Euro, this is not the most
economical option these days. It was when I had domains with them in
the  '90s.

register4less.com - free privacy service ($8.99/domain/year additional
at godaddy) optional but included in the $14.95/domain/year fee.
Canadian company. Sponsor of userfriendly. Also included: 5MB web site
storage, free e-mail aliases/forwarding, available (fee) webmail
hosting. ( http://r4l.com/cgi-bin/r4l.fcgi/info )

For my purposes, none of GoDaddy, Register.com, or NetSol appear to
provide as much value as R4L. Your purposes and value proposition may
differ. :)

-A