[ale] Problems with postfix/courier mail

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Jul 12 13:46:56 EDT 2007

I can't seem to get it to work.  I've followed a very nice tutorial on
howto sourceforge, but it won't log in.  I telneted to localhost 110 and
gave it the user and pw, but it fails with the login.  I used the
user at domain.tld format for the user as instructed.  The log is useless.
This is a ubuntu 6.06 system.  And there are emails in
/home/vmail/<domain>/<user>.

I did notice something odd.  I added two users with an:
insert into users (user, password) values
('bac at domain.tld',ENCRYPT('password'));
(Ignore any typos, this is just an example)

What is funny is that the resultant password is different for the two
users even though I gave it the same ascii string.  I'm just curious how
an external program is going to test for a valid password? I'm used to
one way encryption, where you encrypt the furnished password and test
against the encrypted one in the database.  I don't see how this system
is going to work.

Thanks,
Jim.