[ale] OT: NDMP

John C jcouncilman at knology.net
Tue Jul 10 19:25:50 EDT 2007

USUALLY, the way NDMP works is the back up software tells the NAS that it's
time to backup. The NAS takes a snapshot of whatever's on disk, and then a
background process dumps that data to a directly attached tape drive.
Usually, there is a separate processor that takes care of this, so that
normal disk/network IO isn't affected during backup.

Other vendors might do NDMP a little differently, and that's up to them to
do that.  They might be able to take snapshots of a subnet of data, etc and
then back it up.

NDMP is a protocol, so it can be implemented a little differently by
different vendors and still work.

NetApp was the company that originally came up with it, so check their web
site for more info.

John