[ale] Linux NAS Distribution

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sun Jul 8 08:09:34 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 22:47 -0400, ale-request at ale.org wrote:
> I mean,
> if it'll handle a few million a day for us...

I'm just looking at is what out there.  I do not have the traffic you
have for storing our files.  We store things like ACT! databases
backups, MS Office documents, Marketing stuff, etc.  Normal office type
stuff.  What I want to build is a NAS that has 2 identical drives in a
software RAID1 configuration.  I also want either a DVD-RW or Blu-Ray
burner so that I can make backups.  We have so much stuff that it is not
feasible to backup on DVD anymore.  The capacity of Blu-Ray looks
promising. The burners are still pricey though.   With a NAS
distribution I can just build a PC that meets those requirements and
control it via a browser like FreeNAS does.  If the DVD backup was
integrated into the web interface then someone other than me could do
their own backups.