[ale] Some days are worse than others

Michael B. Trausch michael.trausch at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 01:43:24 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 23:14 -0400, Marvin, International Martian of
Mystery wrote:

> Ever tried typing "emacsnox"?  :-)   I don't particularly dislike vi,
> or
> emacs for that matter.  I'll use either interchangeably.

For X11 enabled versions of Emacs, there are two ways that you can tell
Emacs not to fuss with creating an X window, if you want to run it in a
terminal:

$ DISPLAY="" emacs filename(s)
$ emacs -nw filename(s)

The first one just takes away its knowledge of the X server, the second
one says to not create an X window even if it is capable of doing so.

    --- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                                Web:
           michael.trausch at gmail.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!
Support free speech---it is the most valuable freedom we have!