[ale] Some days are worse than others

Michael B. Trausch michael.trausch at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 00:24:37 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 21:00 -0400, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> But, I have never opened a manual on vi and don't intend to.
> And I have already erased the Kbuntu OS from the box as it drove
> me crazy. It was so crippled I couldn't use it.

visudo uses nano by default on (K|X)ubuntu systems.  Systems derived
from Debian have the alternatives system that lets you configure things
like what version of java, gcc, and type of editor to use, etc.

On my system, visudo kicks off Emacs, because that's the Best Editor In
The World my favorite editor.  Debian-based systems are quite different
in terms of setup from Red Hat based systems, but the tradeoffs are well
worth it once you've learned about them.  There is a lot of forethought
that went into everything from the package management system to the
various little things that you have (like the alternatives system in
Debian/Ubuntu, and the command-not-found hook that Ubuntu Feisty and
newer have in the shell).  The base system has all of these things, so
they are common between (K|X)ubuntu.  I can't speak for Kubuntu's
packaged version of KDE or anything KDE-specific, because in the time
that I used KDE all I could find (other than eye-candy) was
functionality that I needed that was missing.  I have all that and more
in Ubuntu Feisty under GNOME, and additionally have the eye candy with a
slight mod to my distribution (upgraded to Compiz-Fusion).  But, at
least the functionality that I need is here.  It seems that GNOME/GTK
apps are advancing more rapidly, though I could be wrong.

Speaking of functionality that I needed that was missing in KDE
stuffs... did KNode ever get SSL support?  Anyone know?  That was one
major thing that kept me from using it, because I had to use stunnel and
that wasn't quite reliable.

    --- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                                Web:
           michael.trausch at gmail.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!
Support free speech---it is the most valuable freedom we have!