[ale] DSL static IP

Matt Kubilus mattkubilus at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 10:22:35 EDT 2007

It's much safer to run ssh on ANY OTHER port besides 22 from the
outside.  You can then port forward to 22 on the inside, or configure
sshd to respond to some other port.  Make it tougher for the crackers
to figure out which services you are running.

On 7/4/07, Jim <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:
> Paul Cartwright wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 July 2007 02:10:21 pm John Mills wrote:
> >
> >> OpenSSH on the remote linux (puTTY on remote Windows); openSSH/sshd on the
> >> home system. Open the incoming ssh port on the home system's firewall, and
> >> forward that port through your LAN router (if any) to the home system.
> >>

> > I've used winscp & putty from my laptop to my desktop within my own home
> > network. The next part is what I'm not familiar with.. SO, my home network is
> > 192.168.10.X and bellsouth gave me a static IP of... I forget the IP, just
> > call it xxx.yyy.zzz.10 . My DSL modem attachs to my netgear router, which is
> > 192.168.10.1 .  I am using firestarter on opensuse, but I don't see a
> > firestarter process running. So how do I get from the outside world, to my
> > desktop machine on the 192.168.10 network from my static IP of
> > xxx.yyy.zzz.10 ?
> >

> Here's how I do it.  I have a westell modem and I configured it to
> forward port 22 to 192.168.1.97, which is the IP address that my Linksys
> is using to communicate with the Westell.  In the Linksys, I forward
> port 22 to 192.168.2.55, which is one of my servers running sshd.  Now
> when I connect to my static IP address, ssh 123.123.12.21 (phoney) from
> my motel room using the laptop, I get directly into the .55 system.  I
> access the Westell locally (from the .55 machine) by
> http://192.168.1.254.  I think I access the Linksys from 192.168.2.1.
>
> That works for me.  I can't help you find the place to forward the
> Netgear router, but on the Westell, I enter export mode (must have
> javascript on to do this)/Configure/Nat
> There's a dropdown selection box you'll find "SSH Secure Shell".  Edit
> that and add the destination (192.168.2.55 in my case).
>
> Jim.

Don't be a pioneeer.  A pioneer is the guy with the arrow through his
chest.  -- John J. Rakos