[ale] Was Re: DSL static IP; now Linksys WiFi/Routers

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Jul 5 06:45:18 EDT 2007

Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> This reminds me.  I have a LinkSys WRT54G WAP/Router that I haven't
> even really used yet.  It's a v5.0, which apparently is a bad version
> to have if you want to use third-party firmware; I've seen at least
> one path forward for third-party firmware for the v5.0 but the
> installation seems very hairy, the software seems arcane enough that
> ongoing development and bugfixes don't seem likely, and a good many
> installation failure modes seem to result in a "bricked" router.
>
> That being said, how bad off would I be in using the WRT54G as-is as
> my Comcast cable Internet firewall and WAP?  I'm leery of home WAPs in
> general and I may even leave it disabled most of the time, but how
> unsafe is it for a cable Internet firewall?
>
> - Jeff
I've been using one for years on my BS account.  The first modem I had
didn't have a firewall built into it, so the Linksys was the only
firewall.  I never felt I had to have anything better and no one has
done anything bad so far.  I looked into 3rd party software but it
didn't really provide me with any advantages so I stuck with what came
with it.  I think I may have done a firmware update or two.

Jim.