[ale] Was Re: DSL static IP; now Linksys WiFi/Routers

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Wed Jul 4 23:11:13 EDT 2007

This reminds me.  I have a LinkSys WRT54G WAP/Router that I haven't even
really used yet.  It's a v5.0, which apparently is a bad version to have
if you want to use third-party firmware; I've seen at least one path
forward for third-party firmware for the v5.0 but the installation seems
very hairy, the software seems arcane enough that ongoing development
and bugfixes don't seem likely, and a good many installation failure
modes seem to result in a "bricked" router.

That being said, how bad off would I be in using the WRT54G as-is as my
Comcast cable Internet firewall and WAP?  I'm leery of home WAPs in
general and I may even leave it disabled most of the time, but how
unsafe is it for a cable Internet firewall?

- Jeff