[ale] DSL static IP

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Wed Jul 4 22:19:24 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 21:02 -0400, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> 	Okay, I guess you failed to read my previous messages... My mail server
> is not hosted by Bellsouth, Comcast or any residential provider. It's a
> Xen Virtual Private Server hosted at a co-location facility. So it is
> very much a static IP. There actually at this time no PTR at all as I've
> not informed them what to list it as. I've also checked multiple DNSBLs
> to ensure that it's not within any listings.

OK, this thread has meandered quite a bit.  The OP, Paul, wanted to know
what they could do with a BellSouth "static" IP.  You, Jeremy, said "not
a whole lot".  I disagreed and posted what was possible.  Then you
injected what you were doing outside of a BellSouth IP.  Granted I
didn't address all my responses to Paul, but the focus of my points were
what could be done successfully from a BellSouth IP.  Your (Jeremy)
points about external systems not withstanding, the same semantics do
apply when one is interested in repeated successful delivery of email to
more than a handful of self-controlled systems.

-Jim P.