[ale] DSL static IP

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Wed Jul 4 21:02:14 EDT 2007

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 19:52 -0400, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
>> 	As it's hosted on a static IP that is not within any dynamic IP block
>> your premise of being not being accepted or silently drop'd is moot.
>
> You assume too much.  Just because BellSouth says it's "static", and
> just because the IP address never changes (my Comcast IP never changes),
> does not mean the rest of the world doesn't identify it as dynamic.
>
> Does your PTR match your A?  Have you checked the IP in DNSBLs?  etc.,
> etc.
>
> -Jim P.

	Okay, I guess you failed to read my previous messages... My mail server
is not hosted by Bellsouth, Comcast or any residential provider. It's a
Xen Virtual Private Server hosted at a co-location facility. So it is
very much a static IP. There actually at this time no PTR at all as I've
not informed them what to list it as. I've also checked multiple DNSBLs
to ensure that it's not within any listings.

	I barely trust Bellsouth, Comcast even less, to provide any reliable
service to which to host a server on so you must have been daft or
disregarded when I mentioned a hosted Xen VPS. The servers I run at my
location are for internal development and thus not reachable from the
outside except via VPN.