[ale] Some days are worse than others

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Wed Jul 4 15:12:39 EDT 2007

Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 July 2007 09:58, Robert Story wrote:
> | Really? On most distros, sudo wants the password for the user, not root.
>
> Yes, that's so.  But "su"  as in "switch user" will give root access if the
> root password is typed.  And I was trying to get to root.  Using the
> terminal I can gain root access to the system using the newly set root
> password.
>
> In this case, applications run from the Desktop GUI that wanted a password
> would accept NEITHER my user password nor the newly set root password. Which
> left me stymied.  Simply put, something is FUBAR, at least past my abilities
> to fix it.
>
> Sean

I think you said you are running Ubuntu.  I recall someone telling you
(or someone) how to disable sudo.  If you did that, I believe that's
your problem.  If you want to run Ubuntu, I recommend you learn about
using sudo instead of su.  There is no real reason to have to ever run
as root on Ubuntu, at least as far as I have been able to determine.
Leave the root pw alone and reset sudo back to what it was until you've
gotten the system configured and installed like you want it to be.  Then
if you just can't stand not having su, go ahead and make a root pw, but
don't disable sudo.

Jim.