[ale] Some days are worse than others

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Wed Jul 4 10:37:35 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 09:58, Robert Story wrote:
| Really? On most distros, sudo wants the password for the user, not root.

Yes, that's so.  But "su"  as in "switch user" will give root access if the
root password is typed.  And I was trying to get to root.  Using the
terminal I can gain root access to the system using the newly set root
password.

In this case, applications run from the Desktop GUI that wanted a password
would accept NEITHER my user password nor the newly set root password. Which
left me stymied.  Simply put, something is FUBAR, at least past my abilities
to fix it.

Sean