[ale] swap for tech support

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jul 3 13:19:11 EDT 2007

Here's a short HOW-TO on RedHat RAID during the install:

This should work for software RAID 1

example hard drive(s): 100GB drives

Proposed filesystem layout:
100MB /boot
1GB swap
balance for /

(This is actually pretty close to the way RH does it's default setup but
the method here is all important, not the sizes)

Once you get to the screen where you select how to do the drive layout,
choose "Custom".

Next screen you get a disk list in the middle. Select each existing
partition one at a time and delete it if there are ANY partitions.

Now select "New". The window that come ups has several choices to play
with. Let's start with the /boot partition first.

Choose filesystem type RAID. Do NOT choose a mount point (you're not
there yet!). Select the first drive by unchecking the second drive (so
only one drive is checked). Set the size to be 100MB and save it.

Now do the same thing again but select the OTHER drive and save it.

This gives 2 100MB partitions that are type "Software RAID". Now select
"RAID". The window gives the option of RAID types and partitions to use.
Select b oth 100MB partitions and select RAID 1 for the type. The name
of the RAID partition defaults to md0, which is fine. Save the
selections.

Now highlight the new md0 partition and select "EDIT". Set the mount
point to /boot and filesystem type to ext3 and save.

When you do the swap partitions you don't want to use RAID. Swap does
its own raid sort of thing. Just create a new partition on each drive
(one drive at a time) with the fstype as swap and size to be 1/2 the
total swap amount - 512MB.

Now all that is left is to create the RAID pair for the / partition to
use. This is the same process as the /boot process. Create a software
RAID partition for each disk but now choose "max" for file size. Select
RAID, choose both partitions, set RAID type 1, accept device name md1
and save. Select md1, EDIT and set mount point as / and fstype as ext3.

Save all and go to the next step of the installation.