[ale] Strange drive (fdisk) output?

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Mon Jan 29 19:14:28 EST 2007

Guys, I'm having some problems with a WD 120GB drive. I have 2 identical
drives in my fileserver, however, one of them is showing up differently
in fdisk.

Here's the output that I'm getting:

[root at fileserver ~]$ fdisk -l
Disk /dev/hda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes <------ this drive works great!
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders <------ good # of cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 1 14593 117218241 83 Linux

Disk /dev/hdb: 120.0 GB, 120000000000 bytes <------ problematic drive
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14589 cylinders <-------- bad # of cylinders???
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 1 2433 19543041 83 Linux
/dev/hdb2 2434 7297 39070080 83 Linux
/dev/hdb3 7298 12161 39070080 83 Linux
/dev/hdb4 12162 14589 19502910 83 Linux

Both of these drives are identical hardware. The drive that is showing
12000000000000 bytes is not working at all. I can't format partitions,
etc. Is it because the drive geometry isn't correct? Is there a way I
can correct the geometry on the drive so it reflects the working drive?

Thanks for any leads!

Kind regards,
Chris Bergeron