[ale] Paranoia, FUD, slow day...

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Mon Jan 29 18:28:59 EST 2007

> (via Mobile providers) to remotely enable the microphone in a cellphone
> without the user's knowledge.   How do we know the same thing isn't
> possible via our ISPs and our PCs?

You don't.

And I wear a tinfoil lined hat. I know.

But seriously, stupider things have happened - Long non-linux story:

When I worked in hospitals (1980's),  one hospital administrator
took me for a walk, and told he he thought his office
was bugged because he was in negotiations for the
purchase of the hospital by a large chain, and they
seemed to know too much too quickly. We laughed,
I said we'd go check it out that evening.

We went in in sock feet.. and eventually (no tech tools, just by looking)
found a microphone and transmitter above his desk. We left it alone.

With the advice of the FBI, we left it in place.
The CFO had some really interesting meetings
in the Presidents office, and when
the other Hospital made their aquisition bids
in person (crossing state lines.. ) they got nailed.
They had documents in posession with information
that had been planted (stupid). They went to jail.

My point is.. it doesn't just happen on TV, and
if the stakes are high enough, anything is possible.