[ale] Rebuild partition table

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 13:59:16 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 00:42 -0500, Paul Borghese wrote:

> So it looks like in the process of restoring my Windows disk, I corrupted
> my  Linux disk partition table.  Any ideas on how to repair the partition
> table without loosing data?

Not that this is going to help you at the immediate moment in time, but
when I set up a system, I print out the disk configuration just in case
this happens.  I let someone use a PC of mine a while back, and they
were experimenting with something and fried my partition table, and I
was left with no recovery option (and I didn't even have a backup!).
That's when I started keeping printed copies of the disk layout.

For Linux systems, I use the output of fdisk -l and print it out on hard
copy.  For *BSD systems, I print out both the disklabel and (on x86(-64)
systems) the partition table as used by the BIOS.  That way, I don't
have to worry if something gets in the way of my partition table.  In
the case of BSD, the output can be fed right back into the utilities and
the on-disk structures are recreated; Linux, though, makes you do it by
hand (at least, there isn't a tool that I know of at present that you
can type the fdisk -l output into to make it happy).

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!