[ale] MintWifi

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 13:42:39 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 13:12 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> I'm trying to get Mint to recogniz and work with my wireless card, an Intel
> Pro 915 I think.
> anyway, on the Mint web page it mentions MintWifi, but I can't find it in the
> menus, and synaptix doesn't show it, what am I missing:
> Better Wifi support
>
> Bea comes with mintWifi, which purpose is to allow you to configure your
> wireless card without an Internet connection. mintWifi comes with the
> following:
>
>     * Ndiswrapper and Ndisgtk
>     * Cabextractor and unshield
>     * Tutorials to install and configure your Wifi card
> I can't find Mintwifi or the tutorials.

MintWifi is not a particular program, at least, not insofar as I can
tell.  It appears to be a collection of things.  On my system there is
no "mintwifi" package, but there is the packages mentioned (ndiswrapper,
ndisgtk, cabextractor, and unshield).  As far as the tutorials go,
though... I have only found the man pages and system documentation
in /usr/share/doc for the associated packages.

The NDIS-Gtk program seems nice enough, but as my card (Atheros
Communications, Inc. AR5005G 802.11abg NIC) is supported directly, I
don't have the chance to test it out.

I would try downloading the Windows driver for the card that you have
and see if you can install it using the NDIS-Gtk front-end program,
which you can find in "System?Administration?Windows Wireless Drivers".

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!