[ale] slocate updatedb locked files?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Jan 12 17:18:39 EST 2007

No.  The slocate runs at 4 AM and the backup runs at 9 PM.  As noted it appears it hangs first on an slocate job so later when the backup tries to run it hangs on the already locked file as well.   This is an OS only backup (DB is done separately during the day and not on ext3 filesystems).    Also I'd think if the issue were a conflict of two regularly scheduled jobs hitting the same file at the same time that it would either be the same file each time or something in close proximity.   As mentioned in these 2 events the files were in different filesystems.   Of course they all share the same RAID (PERC on Dell) disks.

It could be some issue with the PERC or the physical drives but since it has only occurred twice in 4 months I'm not ready to say it is.   I was just wondering if someone else had similar experience with slocate/updatedb as it started there both times though it could be they were the things that found the lock first rather than what actually caused it.