[ale] how to intercept outbound emails on a qmail server

Jerry Yu jjj863 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 13:03:40 EST 2007

In our QA server running qmail/Linux/tomcat, a piece of home-made java code
sends outbound ('remote' in qmail's term) emails using javax.mail with
localhost:25 as mail server. For testing purposes, we want to intercept all
these outbound emails and redirect it to some other arbitrary email address
instead of bothering/spamming/overwhelming customers with our tests.
I know james.apache has some matcher magic to do this. In our case, From:
and Reply-to: headers are fixed and known, while To: is dynamically pulled
from a RDBMS. How can I accomplish this with qmail?