[ale] Ubuntu no go

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Jan 12 05:26:53 EST 2007

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 20:31 -0500, Jim wrote:
>
>> I've heard y'all sing the praises of ubuntu so I decided I'd give it a
>> try on my latest hardware.  IMHO it's not production ready quite yet.  I
>> downloaded the 6.06.1 iso and burned it to two different CDs.  Neither
>> would boot.  It gets to a "uncompressing linux ... ok booting the
>> kernel" and  ................................ for freaking ever.
>>

> Jim,
>
> run the burn speed down as low as possible. I've had many issues with
> bad burns with high speed runs. Bootable disks are apparently very
> susceptible to error that the drive can't handle. Also, be sure to do
> which ever form of checksum available on the iso image.
>
> I, too, have not been impressed yet with Ubuntu.
>
> <flamesuit>
> Debian with a slick installer is still just Debian
> </flamesuit>

lol, true.  I've been running Debian for, well let's say almost since
the beginning.

I did burn the second one at 4x.   As for the other suggestions, perhaps
I was a bit hasty, I'll try some of the other tricks.  This is a brand
new duo core VT board with an intel chip set, I think.  I'm surprised
that they haven't gotten the apic stuff right yet.

Thanks,
Jim.