[ale] Ubuntu no go

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Thu Jan 11 22:02:33 EST 2007

On Thursday 11 January 2007 20:31, Jim wrote:
> I've heard y'all sing the praises of ubuntu so I decided I'd give it a
> try on my latest hardware. ?IMHO it's not production ready quite yet. ?I
> downloaded the 6.06.1 iso and burned it to two different CDs. ?Neither
> would boot. ?It gets to a "uncompressing linux ... ok booting the
> kernel" and ?................................ for freaking ever.
a google search turned up lots of hits..
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/22148

this one sounds the best, something about acpi=off mode :
 Re: Ubuntu boots as far as 'Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel'
and then s
Try this

in GRUB, select the kernel you want to boot but instead of pressing enter,
press "e", then go to the line ending with "ro quiet splash", add "noapic
nolapic" at the end and then try booting. If it still doesn't work,
try "acpi=off".

--
Paul Cartwright
registered Linux user #... oh I forget!