[ale] BURNING A LIVE CD

Alan Dobkin ALE at MaestroIT.com
Wed Jan 10 11:45:03 EST 2007

On 1/9/2007 6:25 PM, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Well, I was being half-facetious.  But, the notion ties into things I've
> run into before in all-Windows environments.  No one knew how to do a
> port scan or knew of an app to do it with.  No one could arbitrarily
> read data off of a tape to even see what was on it.  And, no one could
> burn a CD-R without the app on the CD that came with the computer or the
> CD-ROM drive.

This is pretty off topic at this point, but the people who didn't know
how to do these things on Windows probably wouldn't know how to do them
on Linux either (or possibly wouldn't care if they aren't "technical").
For the most part, they are using the exact same applications on both
platforms.  For example, Nmap (to do port scans) has been available for
Windows since 2000:

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2000/q4/0013.html

There is also Ethereal (now Wireshark), which has also been around for
several years, as well as WinPcap with WinDump (tcpdump for Windows) and
many others.

For reading data off a tape, tar has been available on Windows for at
least a few years, both as a standalone app, as well as part of Cygwin
(which includes many standard Linux tools).  And for burning an ISO,
there have been other suggestions already posted here, but my favorite
is Microsoft's CLI app "cdburn.exe" which is part of the Resource Kit.
It is very simple to use:  cdburn d: image.iso

Alan