[ale] Trouble with new Pentium D

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 12:38:28 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 11:01 -0500, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> What's keeping you?  I was running 64-bit Gentoo on an AMD64 in 2003...

I know that at least in my case, the server that I have is running
64-bit software.  The (one, at present) 64-bit workstation that we have
isn't running a 64-bit version of Linux, though, because there are some
snags in doing so while being able to run things natively (e.g., Firefox
and OpenOffice.org, as far as I know, still need to 32-bit, and while
OpenOffice.org is easy to do since the package management software has a
32-bit version in the amd64 repositories, Firefox by default is 64-bit,
which isn't very well-to-do for things like Flash and Java.  Maybe over
time, that will change?)

Makes me wonder even more about why proprietary software is permitted to
continue its measly existence.  After all, it is definitely not as
flexible as the rest of an open system.

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!