[ale] Google Trends-Linux Mint

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Mon Jan 8 22:23:37 EST 2007

On Monday 08 January 2007 22:04, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> Interesting about the issue with the root partition. ?I guess that is an
> issue that I wouldn't typically notice since I reformat everything
> except for /usr/local and /home when I reinstall systems.

and I do mostly upgrades.. I alternate between 2 root partitions. One is
usually 2 upgrades back.

> As for KDE, I used to use that, as well. ?I stopped, though, at least
> until KDE 4 comes out (and I have the time to check it out) because the
> things under GNOME work better and seem to support more of the features
> that I need (for example, Kontact/KNode don't support SSL NNTP
> connections, which is trivial to do myself, but hard to explain to users
> who require that functionality, so...)

I'm going to try it, I don't think I'll have a problem with evolution.

> Also, the CD burning in Nautilus (both for image files and for data and
> Music CDs) has been nothing less than fantastic for me. ?I kind of like
> not having to load up something like K3b just to burn some files. ?And
> the wireless on my laptop (an Atheros card) works perfectly?it functions
> under Ubuntu, but the easy network-changing program doesn't work so well
> under Ubuntu's default installation. ?I ran into problems with the KDE
> solution for that as well, as I recall.
I burn a lot of data DVD's, backup DVD's and some movie DVDs. I've been using
tovid and movie-to-dvd, so I don't think there is a difference between KDE &
gnome for that. I AM used to K3B, but I'll give Nautilus a try.

> And, power management is wonderful on this system, too.

great, I'll give it a workout on my laptop!

> The only thing that no system has done for me yet is pushed my video
> card as hard as I want it pushed. ?If I could just get the external VGA
> to run at 1920x1440, or even just 1600x1200, but I haven't figured that
> out yet. ?Perhaps the hardware can't do it, since Windows won't do it on
> this machine, either. ?But still, having something really roomy would be
> nice. ?:-)
my desktop is 1680 X 1050, I got a nice 20" flat panel with my DELL:) I'm
lovin it!
--
Paul Cartwright
registered Linux user #... oh I forget!