[ale] SuSE 10.2, can't log in as root

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon Jan 8 11:47:50 EST 2007

James Taylor wrote:
> It works fine for me on two different boxes.
> I'm not sure why it doesn't work for you.
>
> Try running yast from a command line using
>
> kdesu yast2 &
>
> and see what error you get.
>

> -jt

Incorrect password: Please try again.  Looks like kdesu is the
culprit.    However that gave me an idea, I ran strace on kdesu.

I saw this in the dump:

access("/usr/bin/sudo", X_OK)           = 0]
open("/dev/ptmx", O_RDWR)               = 10

A little while later it was communicating with file descriptor 10.  On
the off chance he was using sudo, I tried my password rather than
root's.  It worked.  That is a change from 10.1 and 9.3.

I'm in the sudousers file so I guess it used sudo instead of su to
execute kdesu.

I think someone should have mentioned that.  But then I did gloss over
the release notes in a bit of a hurry.

Thanks,
Jim.