[ale] monitors & printers have to go

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 00:41:28 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 21:16 -0500, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> Michael Trausch wants the scanner and SCSI card;

Still interested here.

> I will have all of these items at the upcoming Ale Central meeting
> at the Emory Law School this Thursday at 7:30.  Should that meeting
> not occur, I am willing to meet folks wanting this gear at Melton's
> App and Tap at 2500 N. Decatur Rd. at the same day and time.

Sounds good!  Do we know what's going on for the upcoming meeting, by
the way?

> Now that legacy support for Fedora Core 3 has been dropped, I still need
> some help getting this box upgraded -- I can do the update to FC 5, but
> dealing with the Nvidia driver upgrade is mostly beyond me.

I have some experience with wrestling with the nVidia drivers, as well
as ATI drivers at this point.  They're (of course) a bit of a pain in
the rear end on systems that don't support them directly, and older
versions of X11R6.  I have messed with them from everything from X11R6.8
to X11R7.1.  There is better integration (read: supplied packages) for
the nVidia and ATI cards on Ubuntu and Linux Mint (a customized Ubuntu
Edgy Eft base system that uses the Ubuntu repositories for updating),
and from what I've heard there will be even better integration of them
into the system for systems that have those cards on the next release.

Of course, if your goal is to have as GPL'd a system as possible, those
two distributions are probably ones that should be strayed from.  I can
say with almost 100% certainty that RMS wouldn't use them, but then
again he would probably not use the nVidia or ATI graphics cards,
either, since the only good support for them is binary only.
Fortunately, the newest machine that I have (a Toshiba laptop) has an
i810 compatible graphics card in it, so I haven't have to sing the
proprietary driver dance with it.  :-)

In any case, if you need a hand, consider it offered.  Let me know.

    ? Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!