[ale] SD Card with reader

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Jan 3 20:45:25 EST 2007

I recently purchased a 2.0GB SD card and I also bought a USB reader.  I
had an idea to test it under Linux and I'm a little concerned about the
speed.

[cfowler at shuttle usbdisk]$ time sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=file_test.txt
bs=1024k count=1024
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out

real    60m4.148s
user    0m0.004s
sys     0m7.036s

[cfowler at shuttle ~]$ sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   1632 MB in  2.00 seconds = 815.95 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:    8 MB in  3.25 seconds =   2.46 MB/sec

#1.  usbview states that the reader is on the EHCI hub at 480mb/s
#2.  usbview states that the reader is 2.0 and capable of 480mb/s

This is _not_ a 2.0GB usb flash stick.  It is an SD reader with an SD
card.  Are SD cards typically much slower than flash sticks?  I plan to
use this in my digital camera not computer.  I just thought I'd test in
my computer.