[ale] WAS Re: VM ?-now DELL

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Wed Feb 28 12:19:16 EST 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 11:03:28 am Jeff Lightner wrote:
> My mileage with paying RedHat for support on Dell has been much better. ?It
> sounds like your issue was specifically related to the PERC card which goes
> back to Dell hardware.

actually, they did help me troubleshoot the issue, they just couldn't get THE
FIX figured out before I did. Without them I would not have had the right
drivers to make it work. The problem was that RHES 3 update 6 did not
recognize the PerC5 RAID controller, so I needed a driver disk, and the linux
command to install it. I've never done that, so DELL did give me the info I
needed to make it work. What they couldn't do was figure out how to install a
driver disk ( normally a floppy) when I also needed a kickstart floppy, and
their system didn't COME with a floppy. I imbedded the kickstart file in the
ISO of RHES cd1, and created a driver CD.. I did that while he was getting a
floppy shipped to the site.
and there was actually more. Once I got the system up, it also did not
recognize the BNX2 Broadcom network card, so I had no network. more
drivers... so Dell really did help, and it was more than one issue. And it
was a hardware issue, but related to software ( OS) version.. I've been
begging to get this application certified on a higher version of Redhat, but
no one is listening.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800