[ale] WAS Re: VM ?-now DELL

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Wed Feb 28 09:39:12 EST 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 09:06:55 am Jeff Lightner wrote:
> Most of out Redhat/Fedora Linux installations are on Dell. ?The problem
> isn't that you can't load it but that Dell doesn't know how to support
> it well despite the fact they have a "Linux team".

I have used Dell support twice for a RHES 3.6 installation. The first time it
took 8 hours on the phone with them, and they priority shipped 2 floppy
drives to the customer at their expense, from 100 miles away. I was trying to
do a kickstart installation, but I also needed to do a device disk for the
RAID PerC5 controller. I figured out how to get around the floppy issue, so
when the guy showed up at 8pm that night, I told him I didn't need it.
Obviously I don't take good notes, becuse i ran into the same problem a month
later, called Dell, referenced the old ticket number, and had the system back
up and installed within an hour. On another install, the sysadmin onsite had
already called Redhat to work this very same issue, and it took him 12 hours
( a day and a half) to get it installed. So Dell got it done faster than
RedHat did. YMMV :)

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800