[ale] VM ?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Feb 27 16:20:17 EST 2007

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Monday 26 February 2007 10:54:31 pm Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>
>>I would be running Windows XP under it if I could get Toshiba or
>>Microsoft to give me a generic installer for the XP that came with my
>>laptop, but they won't do that and the version of XP that did come with
>>it is preinstalled by way of a Norton Ghost image that the DVD will only
>>install to the laptop itself.
>
> that's my issue, my XP OS came preinstalled from DELL, but I think I got the
> OS CD this time.. fwith my laptop last year, I didn't get the OS CD, and

I was pricing some laptops from Dell, HP, Gateway, and a couple
of others a while back, and I noticed that in most cases,
"OEM Windows XP Install CD" was an option available at additional
cost, usually about $70.  That is, you get the installed OS included
in the base price, but the actual install CD costs extra.  Naturally,
this situation drove me in the direction of the MacBook :-)
It occurred to me to wonder if that extra charge for the Windows
install disk might be a violation of one of M$'s various
court settlements.

-- JK