[ale] VM ?

Brian Pitts bpitts at learnlink.emory.edu
Mon Feb 26 14:28:06 EST 2007

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts wrote:
> My wife wants to be able to run windows under
> SUSE without rebooting. Basically to run Quicken & Quickbooks.
> What are a few GOOD options? Is it VMware, or Zen, or.. a good doc
> tutorial,
> or installation guide would be handy:)
I'd try Qemu first. You can use the kernel modules kqemu (proprietary)
or kvm (free, but requires a processor with VT-x support) for speed.

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/
http://en.opensuse.org/Using_Qemu
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsXPUnderQemuHowTo

Also interesting is VirtualBox , which is based on Qemu but looks easier
to use.

http://www.virtualbox.org/
http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualbox_fedora_centos_opensuse
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/create-and-manage-virtual-machines-using-virtualbox.html

I couldn't find an OpenSuse guide for Vmware's no-cost Player or Server
products, just the Workstation.

http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html
http://en.opensuse.org/Setting_up_VMware_on_SUSE_Linux
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware