[ale] VNC how to punch thru DSL modem

H. A. Story adrin at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 22 22:36:32 EST 2007

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do Not ever Open VNC to the net.  Major hack problem.   Even if you open
it thinking you will close it later.  Still a bad idea.  I got lucky.  I
had opened it on my home machine and didn't run vnc server all the
time.  I just happen to be setting here watching TV and the mouse
started heading for the start menu.  I was fast enough to drop the
connection.  Then check the access logs from the firewall and then start
blocking that range of IP address owned by that ISP.  Which turned out
to by a T-mobile AP in Denmark.    Besides you the DSL modem is doing
DHCP and you forward remote VNC to her machine,  who is to say she will
still get the same IP next week?

Now here is a solution for you.  And it will make you look like one of
those fancy computer stores that do remote support.   We use it at work
to help.  you need to have a way to serve the access program or send it
to her to save on the desktop.   There are some requirements like static
IP address.  Now look at this http://www.uvnc.com.  You setup up a
client, Actually it is vnc server, that can be downloaded and this
client/server will know who to call you and connect to you.  You then
have vncviewer running in listen mode.  No passwords and such a little
more secure in that you are not leaving the VNC port open on the net and
that you can stop and start the listen daemon on your side.  And it will
not matter what OS is connecting to you.

With all that said,  keep in mind that the traffic is not encrypted.
And that by default bellsouth DSL modems don't allow remote access, a
good thing.   You can bridge it and put in a router such as a VPN
router.  You would then have a VPN to their LAN.  You could do RDP or
VNC then without going over the Internet.

Adrin