[ale] sftp on Cygwin

Terry Bailey terry at bitlinx.com
Thu Feb 22 19:48:04 EST 2007

Hi,

The following is relative to Cygwin.

Brian sent a fix to the directory problem with sftp this morning and said
that he would like to know if there was something simpler.  So, here is a
question.

When a user (say Joe) logs in using ssh, he is immediately placed in
his/her directory say /cygdrive/d/ftproot/joe.  And with ssh, the usr is
locked into that directory and cannot get out.  This is what I want to
happen.  I answered "yes" to privilege separation when I ran ssh-host-config.

The problem is that sftp is not locked into the home directory and can
wander all over the place.  Since sftp is a subsystem of Openssh, I thought
sftp would follow the lead of ssh and be locked into the home directory as
well, but this is not the case.

Why is a chroot not necessary for ssh and my be necessary for sftp?  Is
there some simple fix that can cause sftp to follow the lead of ssh ?

Thanks,

Terry Bailey