[ale] backing up /var -POSTGRES & LABEL

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Thu Feb 22 16:36:19 EST 2007

On Thursday 22 February 2007 11:16, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> As everyone else has said, lsof is your best shot when it comes to
> discovering what is open.

yup, I like it!

> As far as stopping PostgreSQL, there are two ways that you can kill the
> server: ?Using kill, or using its init script. ?I prefer using the init
> script, so in my case it would be "/etc/init.d/postgresql-8.1 stop" to
> kill the server (this is on a Debian server; some systems prefer using
> the S??postgres and K??postgres symlink structure, so you would have to
> adjust accordingly).

I know I looked in init.d and rc2.d, rc3.d... for postgres, but I don't
remember seeing it.. I don't have postgres on my system ( maybe I should for
testing this:), but next time I go out on one of these, I will for sure look
for that.
these are RHES 3 update 6 systems, barebones, with an application on it that
we support.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800