[ale] need recommendations for a good local company to recover data off of a dead laptop hard drive

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Wed Feb 21 23:49:46 EST 2007

Hi Van,

On 2/21/2007 at 6:48 PM Van Loggins wrote:

>I have a client who spilled milk on their Dell latitude D610, laptop
>survived but the hard drive died, it appears that the drives controller
>board got wet and caused the drive to die.
>
>I know that the laptop is ok, have already replaced the drive with one
>from fry's electronics, but they have data that they need from the
>original drive for their company.
>
>Can anyone recommend a good local company for data recovery?

I haven't tried swapping the controller board on laptop harddrive, but frequently it's easy on a 3.5" drive.  You might want to try swapping the board with an identical laptop harddrive before investing serious money in a data recovery effort; a Dell replacement drive would certainly cost less.  Also, have you tried plugging the dead drive into another laptop or ide controller?

Cheers,
Robert Reese~