[ale] OT: step into the wayback machine!

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 20 20:23:37 EST 2007

I can't figure out if this thing is a joke or not. If it is, it's a good one.
Here is the product description:

Description
Forward Compatible (FC) is a parasitic object meant to be attached to a Wi-Fi
or fixed network router. The device monitors network traffic and when packets
are sent, they are converted to audio, in the form of a 2400 baud modem
dialing up and connecting, and played through the device's on-board speakers.
The focus of the project is to historically inform the way we think about
network connectivity in public spaces by disrupting the supposed serenity of
modern technology with a reminder of the past. FC is the first of several
parasitic network devices I am currently working on.

http://www.coin-operated.com/projects/forwardcomp.html

Just in case you have a deep nostalgia for the tweet and buzz of your old
modem.