[ale] Bellsouth and SMTP

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Mon Feb 19 20:14:35 EST 2007

David Corbin wrote:
> I know that Bellsouth prohibits incoming connections on port 25 for their
> basic DSL package.  Does anyone know if that is also the case for people with
> static IPs?

	The answer to that question would be yes it is the case for static IP
accounts as well. I've got Crapsouth DSL at home as well with a static
IP and they block port 25 inbound as well as outbound for any mail
server but theirs. What I did was get a Xen VPS account from
GrokThis.net and hosted my own MTA on alternative ports and now I have
no problems.

	They claim it's to stop spammers but a far better policy would be to
actually deal with the actual spammers and not blindly affect those that
just use mail servers with better reputations than theirs.
1v
Regards,
Jeremy