[ale] home network printer(s)

Joshua Kite jwkite at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 15:48:21 EST 2007

I've used a couple of different configurations.

One configuration consisted of a couple of printers (one an old HP Laserjet
5P and another an Epson all-in-one) connected to a linux box.  These were
shared via Samba.  I think Ubuntu made sharing them pretty easy, but I
always seem to go through some issues with Samba.

I'm currently using an older Xerox Tetronix 860DP which is a networked
printer, and it's working very well.  I got it through freecycle, but I saw
a similar model on Craigslist for cheap.  The ink's expensive, but the
prints are great and it's OS neutral.  Xerox releases Linux drivers on its
website, so installation was a breeze.

I'd the first choice is to figure out what you want in a printer.  If you go
for a non-networked one, then be sure it'll work in Linux first, but
connecting it to a Linux box to share shouldn't be too tough.

Good luck,

Josh Kite