[ale] usb external drive recommendations needed

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 09:57:40 EST 2007

Pete,

If your looking at a pure eSata box it should work well, but get the
newest kernel you can get.  Also Sata 300 is twice as fast as Sata 150
and only a little more expensive.  You do need to ensure you get Sata
300 rated cables etc., but that is not too hard to do.

FYI: The libata team has been aggressively adding support for eSata
support for the last year.  They still don't have all the hot-plug
features in there that you might want, but every new kernel is better
than the one before.

FYI2: Sata and eSata are basically the same, but most people would not
require hotplug for Sata while I think it would be a requirement for a
eSata setup.

Greg

On 2/13/07, Pete Hardie <pete.hardie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/13/07, Brian Pitts <bpitts at learnlink.emory.edu> wrote:
> > Since that case has USB2 and eSata
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esata#External_SATA) it gets you USB2
> > (480) or SATA (2400) transfer rates depending on how you connect. A
> > quick glance at Newegg shows eSata HBA's for desktops and notebooks for
> > around $30 and cables for around $5.
>

> I see.  This is good news for my soon-to-be-revived "everything
> external" PC idea....
>
> --
> Pete Hardie
> --------