[ale] Linux Kubuntu install

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Tue Feb 13 06:44:48 EST 2007

On Monday 12 February 2007 22:14, Brian Pitts wrote:
> I'm not sure what Kubuntu uses, but Ubuntu's installer uses the
> excellent program GParted. You can always get the latest version on a
> live cd at http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

I don't know the name of the program it uses, but I do know that I got
frustrated using it. The automatic function might be easy, but doing a custom
install, where you already have a working system with multiple partitions
requires lots of input, with very little explanation as to how to do it.For
instance, on my laptop, I have a DELL laptop, and I just added Kubuntu Feisty
to it. when doing the partitioning I had to de-select my NTFS partition, and
2 or 3 other DELL partitions ( the restore? and some others I don't
remember). To de-select you have to select a drop-down and clear it, and you
have to do this twice for each partition you want to clear. The ones you want
to use you have to select and tell it what you want it to be, root, /home....
then continue.

> Another useful tool on that live-cd is ntfsclone. Worried about damaging
> an ntfs partition? Use ntfsclone to create or restore a backup.
> Partimage can do the sme for other filesystems. http://www.partimage.org
> http://man.linux-ntfs.org/ntfsclone.8.html .

all good references, I appreciate them!! I like that partimage web page,
reminds me of Norton ghost , but free:)

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800