[ale] sftpd on Cygwin

Terry Bailey terry at bitlinx.com
Fri Feb 9 17:27:15 EST 2007

Hi,

I use sftpd on Solaris 9, but it came prepackaged so it has not been
necessary to get it running.

Since I am already using Cygwin, I thought it would make sense to use sftp
in Cygwin; however, there are problems.

Is it necessary to run /usr/sbin/sshd.exe before trying to run
sftp-server?  When I try to run /usr/sbin/sshd.exe I get the following message:

Privilege separation user sshd does not exist.

I did a chmod 755 sshd.exe, but that did not help.

I can run sftp-server and it shows up when I do ps ?ef; however, when I try
to do an sftp from my Linux box on the same local area network, I get the
following message.

Connection refused       Couldn?t read packet

When I installed from cygwin setup, it asked me if I wanted an icon on the
startup and on the desktop.  But, no icons appeared.

I have copied the sshd_config file to /etc.

And even if I get things running, if I log in as a particular user, will
the ftp root directory be the directory of the user?

Any help would appreciated.

Thanks,

Terry Bailey