[ale] oh... please (slight rant)

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 12:49:45 EST 2007

while talking with a friend of a friend last night the conversation
started to turn into a pissing contest.  the gist of it is he is very
entrenched in M$ land and Linux is nothing more than a hobbyist's
plaything.  (hmm... possibly some residual anger there...)

i actually was rendered speechless (not an easy feat mind you, i run my
trap A LOT) when he proclaimed that he could hack any Linux machine in a
few minutes because it was open-source.  i sat there for a few seconds
and then looked at my friend and asked, "he's not doing anything mission
critical for you, is he?"

i readily admit that i am not a Linux guru, database wizard, or web
tzar, but i have enough intelligence to determine that "many eyes are
better than a few"!

instead of being bated into some juvenile argument, i calmly stated
"well, we all use the tools we believe are the best." then i excused
myself to go check and see if someone was clubbing a baby seal in his
driveway.

i felt like that caveman on the insurance commercial...