[ale] unusual cursor behavior - don't know where to begin

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Mon Feb 5 22:36:59 EST 2007

Hi all,
I tried googling this but it's such a bizarre behaviour, I run into
solutions to every problem but the one I seem to be having.

We have an LTSP server at school which behaves properly as a server. The
teacher also uses it as a work station and only in this situation does
our situation arise - no matter the log in and in both GNOME and KDE.
After a while when a few apps have been opened (not any one
specifically) the cursor refuses to leave the left hand quarter inch of
the screen. When I attempt to move it over, it's as if it hits an
invisible wall and won't go any further. Occasionally, I can sneak it a
little further out along the bottom or the top but it will snap back. If
I log out and back in, the behaviour disappears... for a while. Open a
couple of apps and back we go. The clients running off this server do
not do this. Only when on the server itself.

The particulars: Fedora 6 running gdm and either GNOME or KDE as either
regular user or root. Hardware is ATI RS480 motherboard with onboard
Radeon x200 video. I've used the Xorg ati drivers, ATI Linux drivers and
even just configured as a VESA card. Happens at different resolutions
from 800 x 600 to 1280 x 1064. CPU is Athlon64 X2 with 2 gb ram. Tried
both a regular and USB mouse.

I'm not even looking for an answer, just a hint of which direction to
look further. I 'spect its the video card but I don't have a spare PCI-e
or PCI card to play with.

Thanks,
William