[ale] Home Network

Jim Moore j9916moore at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 5 08:00:39 EST 2007

How do I set up a home network?
This is my setup: 3MB internet modem--Netgear WGT624 Router--Laptop (XP
Pro/FC6) wireless: Lan 1 Desktop (XP Pro/FC5), Lan 2 Desktop ( XP
Pro/Debian "Sarge" 40G spare disk space), Lan 3 (98SE with second 40G HD
has Mandrake 8 on it but lost boot when 98 crashed,can only boot 98SE now).

I've looked at Samba but don't know if it's what I need to use.  If I
did would I set up each machine as a server and a client like an Ultra
VNC setup?
Eventual goal is to divest myself as much as possible from the Microsoft
choke up a few hundred dollars every three years situation.

Jim