[ale] cron fun

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Fri Feb 2 12:03:00 EST 2007

Ok, I've got a cronjob, /etc/cron.d/dumppkgs that reads as such:

# /etc/cron.d/php4: crontab fragment for php4
#  This purges session files older than X, where X is defined in seconds
#  as the largest value of session.gc_maxlifetime from all your php.ini
#  files, or 24 minutes if not defined.  See /usr/lib/php4/maxlifetime
MAILTO=robert at rdlg.net
DATE=`/bin/date +%w`
OUTFILE="/etc/Packages.dump.week."$DATE".txt"

# Backup dpkg selections
0 12 * * *     root   /usr/bin/dpkg --get-selections > $OUTFILE

For some reason it's not properly setting $DATE and instead is trying to
make OUTFILE="/etc/Packages.dump.week./bin/date +%w.txt"  which obviously
wont' work.

I'm pretty sure I'm not smoking crack, what have I done wrong?

Robert

:wq!
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
       ALONE.  I speak for              First One Should Be A Man
       no-one else.                       - Manowar