[ale] Lost nic with new system

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Feb 2 06:57:38 EST 2007

I bought a mb & cpu combo from Fry's recently.  It was one of the duo
core Intel systems.  The mb is an Elitegroup (ECS).  It was suppose to
have a lan according to the label on the box and there was a socket but
it didn't work.  There was supposed to be a enable/disable switch in the
bios but there wasn't either.  I filed a ticket with Elitegroup and they
said to update my bios.  I did and that didn't help, or it didn't until
I powered off the system.  But that's not the strangest part.  I
installed a 8139 based nic so I could get it on the lan.  That worked
great until I powered it off and back on.  Now the onboard lan works
fine, but the pci nic is nowhere to be found, almost.  lspci doesn't
show it, Win XP doesn't find it.  But strangely enough SuSE seemed to
know there was something there, because I saw during boot where he
detected another port but disabled it somehow.  It went by too fast to
tell exactly what it said.  Lspci on SuSE didn't list is nor does Ubuntu.

I guess the next thing to do is move it to a different PCI slot, I have
heard that sometimes helps, but I have no idea why it would.

Anyone else with suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim.